So… you’ve found the perfect product that gives you movie-star quality hair. The only problem is it’s causing breakouts. Do you keep using the gel, paste, clay or pomade, hoping it will pass? Or do you start looking for another product?
Before you do anything ask yourself the following questions.
- When did the breakouts start occurring? If the breakouts started a week after you started using the product, and you otherwise have clear skin, chances are you’ve found your culprit.
- Where did the breakouts appear? Breakouts occurring on the forehead, sideburn area and back of the neck are tell-tale signs that your hair product is causing breakouts.
- Do you wear the hair product during exercise? Sweating can cause excess hair product to runoff onto your forehead and face, leaving oil residue which can cause acne. Shower after the gym to prevent this from happening.
- Do you wash your hair before bed? If not, your hair product can transfer to your face as you toss and turn throughout the night.
- How often do you wash your pillow? Over time, the residue from your hair product can build up and cause breakouts. Wash your pillow regularly to prevent this from happening.
- Is your product oil-based? The three main contributing factors to acne are Oil, Dead Skin Cells and Bacteria. If your product is oil-based, it could be trapping bacteria and creating a breeding ground for acne. If this is the case, it’s time to ditch your oil-based product and switch to water-based hair products for effective, oil-free haircare.